What is Ortho-K Overnight Vision Correction?
Imagine the freedom of working, studying or enjoying recreational activities like swimming, surfing and active sports without the inconvenience or discomfort of contact lenses or glasses.
It may sound unbelievable but in fact Orthokeratology (or Ortho-K), the non-surgical process of using special customised contact lenses to reshape your eyes as you sleep, is well-established around the world and achieves excellent visual results for many people.
Our optometrist Mr Alex Petty is a key advocate for the practice of orthokeratology in New Zealand and is one of only three optometrists in the country that are fellows of the International Academy of Orthokeratology (FIAO): a prestigious group of world-wide Ortho-K experts. He has looked after hundreds of patients who wear Ortho-K lenses, many who have done so for a number of years.
How does Ortho-K Vision Correction work?
Ortho-K is actually very simple: A sophisticated rigid contact lens is worn only overnight when you sleep. The forces created in the tears by the lens shift the cells on the surface of your eye into a new shape. Your eye's new shape has a different optical power, which allows you to see clearly once the lens is removed.
Each lens is precisely designed for your eyes using advanced computer modelling software Eyespace based on the shape of your eye surface.
Our patient's love their 'new eyes'!
Some of the benefits of Ortho-K Overnight Vision Correction include:
- Ortho-K can correct a range of prescriptions including myopia up to -8.00D (short-sightedness), hyperopia up to +4.00D (long-sightedness), astigmatism up to -4.00D (rugby ball shaped cornea) and presbyopia (problems with reading up close as you get beyond the age of 40).
- Because you dont need to use any glasses or contact lenses during the day Ortho-K is perfect for athletes, people that enjoy the water (surfers, swimmers etc), people that get dry eye or allergies, people working in dusty or dry environments, and children who need to see well at school.
- Ortho-K is completely reversible and non-surgical. It is a great option for anyone who cannot get laser eye correction due to their age, unstable prescription or due to their corneae being unsuitable.
- Ortho-K lenses are one of the key treatments to prevent the progression of myopia (short-sightedness) in children.
People of all ages can wear Ortho-k lenses. Our optometrist Alex has treated children as young as 6 and as old as 70 with Ortho-K Vision Correction!
Ortho-K lenses are not for everyone however: a careful assessment of your eye health, your corneal shape, your lifestyle and visual requirements are required before your optometrist at Bay Eye Care will recommend Ortho-K lenses.
- If you have questions about Ortho-K some of these may be answered in our Orthokeratology Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Download our comprehensive information document about orthokeratology fitting at Bay Eye Care which contains information about what the process involves.
- For an indication of what it may cost you to have Ortho-K lenses professionally fitted at our practice visit the Bay Eye Care Fee Structure page.